Hearing the Voice of God


When you ask Christian people for advice, often you will hear them say "Just ask God". The assumption being that one CAN hear His voice. But can we? John 10:27 says, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." With all the voices competing for our attention - people, media, TV, the devil, even our own voice - how can we tell which one is God's?

We have the complete bible, which is the inspired Word of God. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." 1 Timothy 3:16-17 God's voice never tells us to take a direction that is counter to what His Word says. If you have need of direction or have a decision to make, go see what His Word says about it first.

We also have the Holy Spirit residing in us. "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26 As you feed on the Word, the Holy Spirit will quicken it to your remembrance as you have need of it for specific situations in your life. This is why it is so important to keep making "daily deposits" of the Word into your heart. The Spirit will quicken the Word already deposited in your heart in a variety of ways. Often I have been stumped about a problem and all of a sudden a scripture will *pop* into my brain; it is the exact road sign I need to direct me to the answer I need. In other words, I am hearing God's voice.

The time you spend in the Word and communing with Him will help you get to know Him more and more. You will have a plumb line in which to compare all the other voices you hear - if they don't line up with what the Word and the Holy Spirit speak, you know they are not of Him.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Tina_Marino

Labels: